Coldwater in Branch County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Wing House Museum
This impressive Second Empire style home with mansard roof was constructed in 1875 for Jay M. Chandler (1850-1884) and his young bride Frances. On this site from 1847-1871 had stood the Parrish flouring mill. Jay, the fourth son of locally prominent Albert Chandler, followed his brothers into the family hardware business. Albert founded the Coldwater Sentinel and served as the city's first mayor. Jay Chandler sold his home to Lucius Wing in 1882.
Lucius M. Wing (1839-1921), Civil War captain, county sheriff and prominent businessman, purchased this residence in 1882. That same year he served a term as mayor. Making notable contributions to the industrial, financial and social life of the city, he was the long time president of a local bank, a manufacturer of cigars and founder of the Bon Ami Social Club. The house remained in the family for three generations until acquired by the Branch County Historical Society in 1974 for use as a historical museum.
Erected 1979 by Michigan History Division, Department of State. (Marker Number S445.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Michigan Historical Commission marker series.
Location. 41° 56.341′ Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 27 South Jefferson Street, Coldwater MI 49036, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. H.C. Lewis Art Gallery / Masonic Temple (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Richard L. Bettinger Memorial Gardens (approx. 0.2 miles away); Michigan Library Association (approx. 0.2 miles away); Branch County / Branch County Courthouse Site (approx. 0.2 miles away); Coldwater War Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); Coldwater Michigan National Guard Armory Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); Branch County World War I Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); Old Sam (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Coldwater.
Also see . . . Branch County Historical Society. Wing House Museum (Submitted on July 18, 2013.)
Categories. • Notable Persons •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 16, 2013, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 360 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 16, 2013, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.