Lincoln in Lancaster County, Nebraska — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
U.S. Post Oﬃce and Courthouse (Old City Hall)
In 1874 construction began on Lincoln's first U.S. Post Office and Courthouse on a block originally intended as a market square. The building was completed by 1879 at a cost of about. $200,000. Alfred B. Mullet, supervising architect of the U.S. Treasury and his successor, William Appleton Potter, prepared the design. The building is of brick, faced with Nebraska limestone, and blends Gothic Revival and French Second Empire styles.
In 1906, when a new post office and courthouse was completed on the northeast corner of this block, the federal government sold the old building to the city for $50,000. It served as Lincoln's city hall until 1969, when a new county-city building was occupied. Deed provisions required Old City Hall to remain in municipal use or it would revert to federal ownership.
In 1969 Old City Hall was one of the first Lincoln buildings listed in the National Register of Historic Places. The Lincoln/Lancaster County Historical Society advocated its preservation, and federal, city, and community support accomplished its renovation. It continues to house city and community agencies.
Erected by Lincoln-Lancaster County Historical Society and Nebraska State Historical Society. (Marker Number 441.)
Marker series. Nebraska State Historical Society marker series.
Location. 40° 48.831′ N, 96° 42.455′ W. Marker is in Lincoln, Nebraska, in Lancaster County. Marker is on O Street (U.S. 34) west of 10th Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lincoln NE 68508, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Original Site of St. Paul Methodist Church (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Lincoln's Founding Block (about 700 feet away); Humane Society Fountain (approx. ¼ mile away); County - City Building (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Nebraska State Historical Society (approx. half a mile away); Mueller Tower at University of Nebraska-Lincoln (approx. half a mile away); Mammuthus Columbi (approx. half a mile away); Osborne Athletic Complex (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lincoln.
Also see . . .
1. Lincoln: The New Capital in Haymarket History. (Submitted on July 20, 2013, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. City of Lincoln and Lancaster County NE. (Submitted on July 21, 2013, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
3. U.S. Post Office and Court House National Register Nomination. (Submitted on July 21, 2013, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Man-Made Features • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 20, 2013, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 350 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 21, 2013, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. 3. submitted on August 28, 2015.