Bath in Beaufort County, North Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
in Spain. Served parish,
1733-1744, in spite of
difficulties inherent to
life in colonial N.C.
Erected 2005 by North Carolina Office of Archives and History. (Marker Number B-63.)
Location. 35° 28.454′ N, 76° 48.785′ W. Marker is in Bath, North Carolina, in Beaufort County. Marker is on Craven Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Located between South Main Street and Harding Street. Marker is in this post office area: Bath NC 27808, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. St. Thomas Church (a few steps from this marker); Alexander Stewart (a few steps from this marker); John F. Tompkins (within shouting distance of this marker); First Post Road (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Edward Teach (approx. 0.2 miles away); First Public Library (approx. 0.2 miles away); Palmer - Marsh House (approx. 0.2 miles away); James Adams Floating Theatre (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bath.
Regarding John Garzia. In 1733, members of St. Thomas Parish persuaded John Garzia, who had traveled to America
Thomas Church the following year. Garzia was, at times, the only recognized member of the church in
North Carolina, at other times sharing responsibilities for the religious welfare of the entire colony with one other minister. His Spanish accent is said to have made his English difficult to understand.
Born in Spain around 1690, Garzia served as a Catholic priest in Cadiz until he fled to Ireland as a result of the Spanish Inquisition. Once in Dublin, Garzia converted to the Church of Ireland. As an Anglican, Garzia became a paid “priest catcher,” informing authorities on ministers who continued to officiate at illegal Catholic mass services. A dutiful minister, Garzia served North Carolina parishioners by traveling great distances to deliver services, all with little or no compensation. A highlight of his ministry was delivery of a sermon to the Governor and Assembly in Edenton in 1734. His untimely death in 1744 was the result of a fall from his horse while enroute to minister to sick parishioners. His death left his wife destitute and creditors
Seen as one of the most dedicated and successful of early SPG missionaries, Garzia overcame the obstacles of poor pay, reluctant parishioners separated by large distances, and rough terrain to serve the colony for eleven years, longer than other Anglican ministers up until that point. Committed to the betterment of his flock, Garzia sought to provide books to educate and offered to cover some expenses of the church from his salary. Still at St. Thomas Church are a number of artifacts acquired during his tenure, among them a silver chalice engraved with his name, two silver candelabra presented by King George II in 1740 when the church was consecrated, and the Queen Anne’s bell, cast in 1732. Because Garzia’s hardships were well-known to the SPG and others in England, the Society was reluctant to reply to requests for a replacement for Garzia—the longest serving, and arguably the first permanent minister, in the parish—until nearly ten years later with the arrival of Alexander Stewart. (North Carolina Office of Archives & History — Department of Cultural Resources)
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Colonial Era •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 31, 2013, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 393 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 1, 2013, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.