Lexington, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
On January 12, 1778 the act became law which specified the name, exact size and shape of the town. James McDowell surveyed the original town, thirteen hundred feet long by nine hundred feet wide, with six streets. There were thirty-six one-half acre corner lots with two lots designated for the Court House and Jail.
Here lies Lot One, Lexington, Virginia.
Location. 37° 47.051′ N, 79° 26.571′ W. Marker is in Lexington, Virginia. Marker is at the intersection of South Main Street (U.S. 11) and East Nelson Street (U.S. 60), on the right when traveling north on South Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lexington VA 24450, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Hopkins Green (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Alexander-Withrow House, ca. 1793 (about 400 feet away); Campbell House, ca. 1845 (about 500 feet away); The Sloan House, ca. 1844-45 Lt. Gen. Thomas Jonathan “Stonewall” Jackson 1824-1863 (about 600 feet away); The Stonewall Jackson House (about 600 feet away); Jackson's Garden (about 600 feet away); Rockaway (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lexington.
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 3, 2013, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page has been viewed 267 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 3, 2013, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.