Lucerne in Lucerne (District), Switzerland
Labyrinthe des glaces
—Hall of Mirrors —
Created by Heinrich Ernst, a Zurich architect, the «Alhambra labyrinth of mirrors» was one of the main attractions at the «Parc de Plaisance» during the Swiss National Exhibition in Geneva in 1896. Marie Amrein-Troller, the widow of the Glacier Garden’s founder, who had died young, acquired the labyrinth of mirrors in 1899.
The Alhambra in the southern Spanish city of Granada is one of the most important monuments in Europe. The fascination with this «most Islamic of all buildings» was also the reason for the «labyrinth of mirrors» being created in Alhambra style.
The entrance with its lion fountain is particularly reminiscent of the Alhambra. 1/6th of the fountain with a mere two lions and only a few Alhambra arched elements give the illusion of the lion fountain with 12 stone lions. The «labyrinth of mirrors» (popularly called the «hall of mirrors» or «mirror maze») continues with its Moorish arches from the Iberian peninsula.
Erected by Glacier Gardens.
Location. 47° 3.537′ N, 8° 18.627′ E. Marker is in Lucerne, Lucerne, in Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: Denkmalstrasse 4, Lucerne 6006, Switzerland.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Lion Monument (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); The Inner "Weggis" Gate (approx. 0.7 kilometers away); Teiling Alley (approx. 0.7 kilometers away); "Star Square" (approx. 0.7 kilometers away); The von Silenen Home (approx. 0.7 kilometers away); Johann Baptist Marzohl (approx. 0.8 kilometers away); "At the White Cross" Inn (approx. 0.8 kilometers away); Balthasar House (approx. 0.8 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lucerne.
More about this marker. The Hall of Mirrors is located at Gletscher Garten (Glacier Gardens) in Lucerne.
Categories. • Entertainment •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 5, 2013, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 365 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 5, 2013, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.