Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near New Castle in New Castle County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Crane Hook Church

 

—••• —

 
Crane Hook Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Keith S Smith, July 24, 2013
1. Crane Hook Church Marker
Inscription.
Built in 1667, Crane Hook Church was located one mile east of here on what is now Pigeon Point Road. The Church took its name from the land located between here and the Delaware River. Under Dutch leadership, this area was colonized by the Swedes and Finnish-Swedes in the early 1660s. The English took control of the Delaware colony in October 1664 and afforded the religious freedom needed to build this Swedish Lutheran church. Built of logs in a blockhouse style, the Church’s projecting second story served as a defense structure against external threats. Worshipers were primarily Swedes and Finnish-Swedes, but also included people of English, Dutch, Holstein, or German origin. According to a pew list the congregation from the 1690s about 50% of the congregants came from New Castle County, 10% from Cecil County Maryland, and 40% came by boat across the Delaware River in New Jersey. Lars Lock from Sweden was the first pastor of Crane Hook Church. After his death in 1688, the congregation was led by lay reader Charles Springer until the arrival of Erik Björk in 1697. Björk was one of the three Church of Sweden priests sent to America to serve the remaining Swedes on the Delaware River. With the help of the congregation, Björk immediately began planning and constructing Holy Trinity Church (Old Swedes) in Wilmington to replace Crane Hook
Crane Hook Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Keith S Smith, July 24, 2013
2. Crane Hook Church Marker
Church.
 
Erected 2012 by Delaware Public Archives. (Marker Number NC-193.)
 
Location. 39° 42.353′ N, 75° 33.005′ W. Marker is near New Castle, Delaware, in New Castle County. Marker is on New Castle Avenue (Delaware Route 9), on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. ¼ mile north of Lambson Lane. Marker is in this post office area: New Castle DE 19720, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Community of Dunleith (approx. 0.2 miles away); Delaware River and Bay Authority Vietnam Memorial (approx. ¾ mile away); Delaware River and Bay Authority Veterans Dedication (approx. 0.8 miles away); Delaware - Desert Shield / Desert Storm Memorial (approx. 0.8 miles away); Delaware Memorial Bridge (approx. 0.8 miles away); Wounded Combat Veterans Memorial (approx. 0.8 miles away); Delaware & New Jersey WWII Submariners Memorial (approx. 0.8 miles away); Korean War Veterans Memorial (approx. 0.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New Castle.
 
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker.
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.Colonial EraSettlements & Settlers
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 6, 2013, by Keith S Smith of West Chester, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 487 times since then and 29 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on August 6, 2013, by Keith S Smith of West Chester, Pennsylvania. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement