Near Union Springs in Bullock County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Sardis Baptist Church, Cemetery, and School
Settlers from the Edgefield District, South Carolina, organized the Sardis Baptist Church on June 10, 1837. The first building, a log cabin, was constructed in 1841 after John M. and his wife Amy Youngblood Dozier deeded four and one-half acres to the church for a building and cemetery. The present building, constructed in the 1850s, is an exceptionally fine example of rural antebellum church architecture of Greek Revival style. Relatively unaltered since construction, its four columns support a full entablature and low-pitched roof. Each of the two primary entrances has double-paneled doors trimmed with unadorned molding, and each side of the building has four tall, shuttered, 18-light windows. The building was repaired in 1940-41 and 1992-93. As membership declined, Sunday afternoon services were conducted by visiting Methodist ministers from Union Springs. The church became inactive in the early 1950s, but was the setting for a wedding in 1993. Added to the Alabama Register of Landmarks and Heritage in 1992, it was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2001.
Sardis School, a community school, was located on the church property across the highway from the church on the corner of Highway 223 and County Road 22. Newspaper articles indicate the school was operating in 1861 and 1870. The old Sardis School building was subsequently moved east on County Road 22, where it became, as it remains today, the living room of the Livingston Paulk home.
In 1867, the Buena Vista Masonic Lodge #169 was located just north of the church property.
Erected 2002 by Bullock County Historical Society, Alabama Historical Association.
Location. 32° 5.334′ N, 85° 45.76′ W. Marker is near Union Springs, Alabama, in Bullock County. Marker is at the intersection of State Highway 223 and County Road 22, on the left when traveling south on State Highway 223. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Union Springs AL 36089, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Indian Treaty Boundary Line (approx. 3.9 Indian Treaty Boundary Line (approx. 4 miles away); Log Cabin Museum/Old City Cemetery (approx. 4.6 miles away); Aberfoil Community (approx. 4.6 miles away); Trinity Episcopal Church/Red Door Theater (approx. 4.7 miles away); Bullock County Courthouse Historic District (approx. 4.8 miles away); Union Springs, Alabama (approx. 4.8 miles away); Mt. Hilliard Methodist Church (approx. 6½ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Union Springs.
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Churches & Religion • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 11, 2013, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 932 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 11, 2013, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.