Near Wilson in Wilson County, North Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Was moved 3 1/2 miles west
in 1803. Early church
site and graveyard are
350 yards south.
Erected 1959 by Archives and Highway Departments. (Marker Number F-33.)
Location. 35° 43.907′ N, 77° 51.127′ W. Marker is near Wilson, North Carolina, in Wilson County. Marker is on State Highway 42, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Wilson NC 27893, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Military Hospital (approx. 3 miles away); Owen L. W. Smith (approx. 3.1 miles away); R.D.W. Connor (approx. 3.2 miles away); First ABC Store (approx. 3.2 miles away); P.D. Gold (approx. 3.3 miles away); Wilson County Civil War Memorial (approx. 3.3 miles away); Combat Wounded Veterans (approx. 3.3 miles away); Henry G. Conner (approx. 3.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Wilson.
Regarding Toisnot Church. Toisnot (also spelled Tosneot) Baptist Church was first established in 1756 as a General Baptist Church. Prior to September 24, 1759, a meetinghouse measuring sixteen by twenty-eight feet was built
Toisnot Church belonged to the Charleston Association from 1760 to 1762, and joined as a charter member of the Kehukee Baptist Association associated with the Kehukee Primitive Baptist Church on November 6, 1769. When the first major split took place among North Carolina Baptists at the falls of Tar River in 1775, the next meeting of Regular and Particular churches was held at Toisnot on August 24, 1775. Several churches in the region originated as branches of Toisnot. The first, Flat Swamp became independent in 1776, later establishing several nearby churches including Skewarkey.
Rev. John Thomas, Sr., John Thomas, Jr. and Jonathan Thomas played major roles in the early years of Toisnot. Reuben Hayes became pastor in 1789, followed by John Sherrod in 1803, when the church moved to a more central location near Wilson. (North Carolina Office of Archives & History — Department of Cultural Resources)
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 12, 2013, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 245 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 13, 2013, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.