Sandy Spring in Montgomery County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
History of the Sandy Spring Friends Meeting House
1753: Sandy Spring Friends Meeting established
on this site by three or four families who had
moved here from first Friends Meeting on
Western Shore of Chesapeake Bay.
1770: James Brooke conveyed one acre of land
to his sons to be held in trust for the use of
the Quakers. A frame Meeting House, probably
second on the site, and five burial places were
already on this land. Present site is about
1817: Present Meeting House built by local labor
and contributions of friends and neighbors.
Doors at each end permitted the traditional
separate entrances and meetings of men
and women. Paneled dividing partitions
could be raised in the middle. Separate
meetings were abandoned about 1890.
1858: Lyceum built. Became Community House
1868: Porch added.
1938: Electricity installed, followed over the years
1968: Balcony added, using old partition panels
1972: Meeting House declared National Historical Site.
Location. 39° 8.836′ N, 77° 1.524′ W. Marker is in Sandy Spring, Maryland, in Montgomery County. Marker is on Meeting House Road, on the left when traveling south. Located .3 miles south of Olney/Sandy Spring Road (MD 108). Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 17715 Meeting House Road, Sandy Spring MD 20860, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Sandy Spring Friends Meeting Site (here, next to this marker); The Sandy Spring Ash Tree (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Sandy Spring (approx. 0.6 miles away); Quakers Practicing their Faith in Montgomery County (approx. 1.3 miles away); Woodlawn (approx. 1.3 miles away); African Americans and Quakers in Sandy Spring (approx. 1.4 miles away); The Holland Red Door Store (approx. 1½ miles away); Springhouse (approx. 2.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sandy Spring.
Regarding History of the Sandy Spring Friends Meeting House.
National Register of Historic Places:
Sandy Spring Friends Meetinghouse (added 1972 - - #72000587)
Also known as Sandy Spring
Meetinghouse Lane and MD 108 , Sandy Spring
♦ Historic Significance: Person, Architecture/Engineering
♦ Architect, builder, or engineer: Unknown
♦ Architectural Style: Federal
♦ Historic Person: Hicks,Elias,et al.
♦ Significant Year: 1828, 1817
♦ Area of Significance: Invention, Architecture, Religion
♦ Period of Significance: 1825-1849, 1800-1824
♦ Owner: Private
♦ Historic Function: Religion
♦ Historic Sub-function: Religious Structure
♦ Current Function: Religion
♦ Current Sub-function: Religious Structure
Also see . . . Quaker Center. The Religious Society of Friends began in England in the 17th century.... (Submitted on August 15, 2013, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
More. Search the internet for History of the Sandy Spring Friends Meeting House.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 15, 2013, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 378 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 15, 2013, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.