Millinocket in Penobscot County, Maine — The American Northeast (New England)
This tablet is placed here by the Forest Commissioner of Maine under order of the governor and Executive Council dated March 16, 1932 to record the gift and conveyance to the state on March 3, 1931 and October 7, 1931 by Percival Proctor Baxter, governor 1921-1925, of nine square miles of land in township 3 range 9 Mt. Katahdin, within which area are located this the highest peak of the mountain 5267 ft., named Baxter Peak by the state legislature laws of Maine 1931, South Peak 5240 ft., Pamola Peak 4902 ft., the North Peaks 4734 ft. and 4612 ft., the Knife Edge, the Chimney, the Tableland, Chimney Pond 2914 ft., Dry Pond 2799 ft., North West Plateau 4401 ft., Harvey Ridge 4182 ft., Hamlin Peak 4751 ft., Rum Mountain 3361 ft. and the Great, North and South Basins.
This gift was made upon the express condition that the said tract so donated and conveyed shall forever be used for public park and recreational purposes, shall forever be left in the natural wild state, shall forever be kept as a sanctuary for wild beasts and birds, that no roads or ways for motor vehicles shall hereafter ever be constructed therein or thereon,” and was so accepted by the state legislature laws of Maine 1931 and by Order of the Governor and Executive Council October 7, 1931.
Nick Violetti William Tudor Gardiner
Location. 45° 54.27′ N, 68° 55.294′ W. Marker is in Millinocket, Maine, in Penobscot County. Marker can be reached from Baxter Park Road (Maine Route 157), on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is located in Baxter State Park, at the summit of Mount Katahdin (Baxter Peak). Marker is in this post office area: Millinocket ME 04462, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 1 other marker is within walking distance of this marker. Katahdin (here, next to this marker).
More about this marker. The seal of the State of Main appears at the top of the marker.
Categories. • Natural Features •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 15, 2013, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 304 times since then and 31 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 15, 2013, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.