St. Augustine in Saint Johns County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
Nine Mile Road
Between the terminus of Nine Mile Road at the Kings Road and State Road Number 16, Nine Mile Road passes through portions of Twelve Mile Swamp and crosses land originally granted to the Indian trading firm of Panton Leslie and Co. by the British Crown some time after 1763. In 1813, the same tract of 10,000 acres passed to the St. Augustinian, Antonio Huertas, through a grant from the Spanish governor, Sebastian Kindelan.
From the early 1800s the pine flatwoods bordering the road were noted for grazing cattle and for producing turpentine. From its early inception to the present, Nine Mile Road has provided a means of transportation for residents of St. Johns County and remains an integral part of our heritage.
Erected 1999 by The St. Johns County Commission in cooperation with the St. Augustine Historical Society.
Location. Marker has been reported missing. It was located near 30° 0.595′ N, 81° 24.016′ W. Marker was in St. Augustine, Florida, in Saint Johns County. Marker was at the intersection of Nine Mile Road and Republic Drive, on the right when traveling west on Nine Mile Road. Touch for map. Nine Mile Road is alternately known as International Golf Parkway. Marker was in this post office area: Saint Augustine FL 32095, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this location, measured as the crow flies. King's Road (approx. 0.6 miles away); Governor Grant's Plantations (approx. 4½ miles away); Former St. Johns County Jail (approx. 6.2 miles away); El Pueblo de Gracia Real de Santa Teresa de Mose (approx. 7.2 miles away); African Origins (approx. 7.2 miles away); 10 Hildreth Drive (approx. 7.9 miles away); 30° 8' North Latitude (approx. 8.1 miles away); Fullerwood Park Historic District (approx. 8.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in St. Augustine.
Regarding Nine Mile Road. An identical marker was located just east of I-95 on this road. It has been subsequently removed.
1. Marker is missing
Marker was not to be found on today's visit- 4/12/2015
— Submitted April 12, 2015, by James R. Murray of Elkton, Florida.
Categories. • Roads & Vehicles •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 15, 2013, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. This page has been viewed 362 times since then and 30 times this year. Photo 1. submitted on August 15, 2013, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide view of the marker and the surrounding area together in context after the marker is replaced. • Can you help?