Lucerne in Lucerne (District), Switzerland
The Old Armory
—(Seit 1986 Historisches Museum / Historical Museum since 1986) —
Unter Denkmalschutz seit 1963
Restauriert 1977 – 1978
1547 entstand der Zeughausbrunnen. Das heutige Brunnenbecken datiert von 1739, die Säule und Wildmannfigur (in Kopie erneuert) von 1678.
Built as a grain warehouse, this building by the Spreuer Bridge has served as an armory since 1472. In 1566 the building was washed away. In 1567-1569 the present building was built as an armory, in the manner typical of a late Gothic warehouses.
A listed monument since 1963.
The armory fountain was installed in 1547. The present fountain basin dates from 1739, and the column and wild man figure (since replaced with a replica) date from 1678.
Erected by Stadt der Luzern (City of Lucerne).
Location. 47° 3.071′ N, 8° 18.117′ E. Marker is in Lucerne, Lucerne, in Lucerne (District). Marker is on Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: Pfistergasse 24, Lucerne 6003, Switzerland.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Lower- or Basel-Gate (within shouting distance of this marker); The Spreuer Bridge (within shouting distance of this marker); The Spreuer Bridge Paintings (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); Mühlenplatz (Mill Place) (about 90 meters away); The Von Sonnenberg House (about 120 meters away); The Burgher Gate (about 120 meters away); The Pfyffer Student House (about 120 meters away); The Singer House (about 120 meters away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lucerne.
Also see . . . Luzern, Altes Zeughaus. The Swiss Society for Cultural Property Protection's German-language page for the Old Armory. (Submitted on September 21, 2013.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 16, 2013, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 307 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 16, 2013, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.