Winchester in Clark County, Kentucky — The American South (East South Central)
Homer C. Ledford
Homer Ledford (1927-2006) was a master craftsman, musician, and teacher. Born in Tennessee, he came to Kentucky to attend Berea College & graduated from Eastern Ky. University. Ledford founded the Cabin Creek Band in 1976 & led it for 30 years, entertained on four continents, and performed for five of Kentucky’s governors.
Ledford crafted thousands of musical instruments. His banjos, violins, guitars, mandolins, and dulcimers are sought by musicians worldwide. The Smithsonian Institution houses three of his creations— a fretless banjo, an Appalachian dulcimer and a dulcitar, which he copyrighted. He played 13 musical instruments.
Erected 2007 by Kentucky Historical Society-Kentucky Department of Highways. (Marker Number 2250.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Kentucky Historical Society marker series.
Location. 37° 59.509′ N, 84° 11.167′ W. Marker is in Winchester, Kentucky, in Clark County. Marker is on College Street west of Wheeler Avenue, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. The marker is located at the edge of College Park. Marker is in this post office area: Winchester KY 40391, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. Daniel Boone (here, next to this marker); Hanson Home Site (approx. 0.2 miles away); Governor James Clark (approx. 0.2 miles away); World War I Memorial (approx. half a mile away); Clark County Courthouse (approx. half a mile away); Gov. James Clark Judicial Center (approx. half a mile away); County Named 1793 (approx. half a mile away); "Morgan's Men" Here (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Winchester.
Also see . . . Official Web Site - - Homer C. Ledford. (Submitted on August 17, 2013.)
Categories. • Arts, Letters, Music •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 16, 2013, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. This page has been viewed 318 times since then and 50 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 16, 2013, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. • Al Wolf was the editor who published this page.