Tybee Island in Chatham County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
The Confederates used earth and a “blindage” of timbers as protection against shot and shells falling within the fort. To reduce casualties from flying debris, the “light colonnade” or veranda roof along the gorge was removed.
Three months after the battle, with the Parade restored, the 48th New York Volunteers stood “on review.” Those not on duty in the background found another way to use the Parade. This is one of the first known photographs of baseball being played.
By the time the fort was established as a National Monument in 1924, the Parade was overgrown with vegetation. Restoration would not begin until 1933, when Fort Pulaski became a part of the National Park System.
With the help of the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC), widespread preservation maintenance was performed during the Great Depression. Remarkably, the only major portion needing complete reconstruction was the veranda roof, dismantled by the Confederates in 1862.
Erected by National Park Service.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Civilian Conservation Corps marker series.
Location. 32° 1.624′ N, 80° 53.384′ W. Marker is in Tybee Island, Georgia, Touch for map. Marker is located inside Fort Pulaski. Marker is in this post office area: Tybee Island GA 31328, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. 4.5 Inch Blakely Rifle (here, next to this marker); Brooke Rifle (a few steps from this marker); The Breached Wall (within shouting distance of this marker); Hot Shot Furnace (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named The Breached Wall (within shouting distance of this marker); This Memorial Commemorates The Act Of... (within shouting distance of this marker); Federal Siege Batteries (within shouting distance of this marker); Store House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tybee Island.
More about this marker. Four photographs of the parade in Fort Pulaski at various times appear on the marker.
Also see . . . Fort Pulaski National Monument. National Park Service website. (Submitted on August 17, 2013, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
Categories. • Forts, Castles • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 17, 2013, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 274 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on August 17, 2013, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.