Winchester in Clark County, Kentucky — The American South (East South Central)
Clark County Courthouse
Clark County, named in honor of Revolutionary War hero General George Rogers Clark, was created in 1792. A two-room log cabin courthouse built here in 1794 on land donated by John Baker. Replaced by two-story brick bldg. in 1797. Third courthouse, built 1821, was where Henry Clay argued his last case before a jury, 1849.
Today’s courthouse, designed by noted Lexington architect John McMurtry, was completed in 1855 at a cost of over $40,000. Clock tower raised and courtroom moved upstairs in 1889. Courthouse was expanded in 1938 by addition of a rear block matching the front. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1974.
Erected 2008 by Kentucky Historical Society-Kentucky Department of Highways. (Marker Number 2256.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Kentucky Historical Society marker series.
Location. 37° 59.567′ N, 84° 10.65′ W. Marker is in Winchester, Kentucky, in Clark County. Marker is on South Main Street south of Cleveland Avenue, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Winchester KY 40391, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. Gov. James Clark Judicial Center (within shouting distance of this marker); County Named 1793 (within shouting distance of this marker); "Morgan's Men" Here (within shouting distance of this marker); World War I Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Hanson Home Site (approx. 0.3 miles away); East Broadway Cemetery (approx. half a mile away); Homer C. Ledford (approx. half a mile away); Daniel Boone (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Winchester.
Categories. • Notable Persons • Politics •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 16, 2013, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. This page has been viewed 359 times since then. Last updated on August 17, 2013, by Keith S Smith of West Chester, Pennsylvania. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 16, 2013, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. • Al Wolf was the editor who published this page.