Fanning Springs in Gilchrist County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
The History of Fort Fanning
The fort was originally called "Palmetto", but was renamed in honor of Colonel Alexander Campbell Wilder Fannin (1788-1846).
Made of real wood, and situated in warm humid climate, remnants of the actual fort have long since disappeared.
Colonel Fannin served under General Andrew Jackson in the First Seminole War. As a lieutenant, at the beginning of the Second Seminole War, he was noted for outstanding service when he led a charge in a battle near the Withlacochee River. His objective, during the Second Seminole War, was to capture Seminoles for deportation to the West.
Until railroads crossed the Suwannee River early in the 20th century, the Fanning Springs area served as the local boat landing.
Products such as cotton, lumber, turpentine and other plantation products would be loaded and hauled off while household and farm supplies would be received.
Location. 29° 35.5′ N, 82° 56.167′ W. Marker is in Fanning Springs, Florida, in Gilchrist County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of U.S. 19 and Kentucky Avenue, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is located in Fort Fanning Historical Park north of Fanning
Other nearby markers. At least 4 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Fanning Springs Bridge (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Oldtown (approx. 2.9 miles away); Fletcher Community (approx. 10½ miles away); Triumph the Church and Kingdom of God in Christ (approx. 12 miles away).
Also see . . . Historic Fort on the Suwannee. (Submitted on August 19, 2013.)
Categories. • Forts, Castles • Wars, US Indian •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 16, 2013, by Darlene Greany of Cape Coral, Florida. This page has been viewed 749 times since then and 41 times this year. Last updated on August 19, 2013, by Darlene Greany of Cape Coral, Florida. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 16, 2013, by Darlene Greany of Cape Coral, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide view photo of the marker and the surrounding area together in context. • Can you help?