Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Hilton Head Island in Beaufort County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Fort Howell - 1864

 
 
Fort Howell Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, March 2008
1. Fort Howell Marker
Inscription. An excellent example of the defensive earthworks common to the civil War era, Fort Howell was constructed by Union Forces occupying Hilton Head Island and was one of the final fortifications to be built during the war. The men of the 32nd U.S. Colored Infantry Volunteers labored to complete the fort in the fall of 1864. Its purpose to protect Mitchelville, a freedman's town of newly emancipated slaves, which lay just down the road from this spot.

Fort Howell was deeded to the Hilton Head Island Land Trust in 1993 to insure its public preservation as an historic site for current and future generations to enjoy.
 
Erected 1993 by Hilton Head Island Trust, Inc.
 
Location. 32° 14.056′ N, 80° 41.526′ W. Marker is in Hilton Head Island, South Carolina, in Beaufort County. Marker is at the intersection of Beach City Road and Dillon Road, on the left when traveling north on Beach City Road. Touch for map. Located near a driveway located Approx 200 feet south of Dillon Road intersection. Marker is in this post office area: Hilton Head Island SC 29926, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Fort Howell ( here, next to this marker); Mitchelville Site ( within shouting distance
Fort Howell "Traverse" image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, 2008
2. Fort Howell "Traverse"
You are standing on what was the fort's "Traverse," or " Bomb-Proof," a 50 foot long earthwork which protected troops inside from enemy assults on the forts entrance. Pentagonal in shape, the earthworks measured approximenately 525' by 400' and reached a height of 23'. Four 5' x 8' magazines, which were protected by earth mounds, housed powder and shot for up to 27 guns. (Lower text) The exterior of the fort featured a moat and wooden palisades - sharpened logs driven into the ground to slow advancing troops. The area directly adjacent to the fort walls was further protected by guns mounted in " bastions," an example of which at the end of this path.
of this marker); St. James Baptist Church ( within shouting distance of this marker); Cherry Hill School ( about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Religion in Mitchelville/School in Mitchelville ( approx. 0.3 miles away); The Dawn of Freedom: Mitchelville ( approx. 0.3 miles away); The Battle of Port Royal/William Fitzhugh and Black Sailors in the Union Navy ( approx. 0.3 miles away); Black Troops on Hilton Head ( approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hilton Head Island.
 
Also see . . .
1. Fort Howell, named in honor of Brigadier General Joshua B. Howell. Wikipedia entry (Submitted on April 1, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.) 

2. Union Regimental Histories United States Colored Troops Infantry. (Submitted on April 1, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
 
Categories. African AmericansForts, CastlesWar, US Civil
 
Fort Howell - 1864 Marker image. Click for full size.
By Brandon D Cross, June 12, 2017
3. Fort Howell - 1864 Marker
The original horizontal marker has been replaced by this vertical version.
North Bastion Marker image. Click for full size.
By Brandon D Cross, June 12, 2017
4. North Bastion Marker
The original horizontal marker has been replaced by this vertical version.
The Left ( N) moat area , as seen today image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, 2008
5. The Left ( N) moat area , as seen today
The North Bastion image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, 2008
6. The North Bastion
North Bastion Built to protect the long walls of the fort, twin bastions projected from the main earthworks and offered secure vantage points from which troops could provide covering fire. This bastion and its companion on the Southwest wall of the fort would have each housed six cannons.
Looking Northeast from the North Bastion today image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, March 2008
7. Looking Northeast from the North Bastion today
Enemy's view of the North Bastion locale image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, 2008
8. Enemy's view of the North Bastion locale
Left (S) moat area as seen today image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, 2008
9. Left (S) moat area as seen today
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 22, 2017. This page originally submitted on April 1, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 5,743 times since then and 490 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on April 1, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.   3, 4. submitted on June 21, 2017, by Brandon D Cross of Flagler Beach, Florida.   5, 6, 7, 8, 9. submitted on April 1, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement