Annapolis in Anne Arundel County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
1921 - 1946
Erected 1960 by the State of Maryland.
Location. 38° 58.707′ N, 76° 29.431′ W. Marker is in Annapolis, Maryland, in Anne Arundel County. Marker is at the intersection of State Circle and Francis Street on State Circle. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Annapolis MD 21401, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Maryland State House (a few steps from this marker); Dred Scott, 1799 - 1858 (within shouting distance of this marker); Roger Brooke Taney, 1777 - 1864 (within shouting distance of this marker); St. Mary's City Cannon (within shouting distance of this marker); General Washington (within shouting distance of this marker); Matthew Alexander Henson (within shouting distance of this marker); Sacred to the Memory of Baron de Kalb (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Maryland State House (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Annapolis.
More about this marker. The battleship USS Maryland was decommissioned in 1947 and its bell was presented
Also see . . . USS Maryland (BB-46). (Submitted on September 16, 2015, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.)
1. The USS Maryland (BB-46),
A Colorado-class battleship, the Maryland was the third ship of the United States Navy to be named in honor of the seventh state.
Her keel was laid down 24 April 1917 by Newport News Shipbuilding Company of Newport News, Virginia. She was launched on 20 March 1920.
In 1940 Maryland and other battleships changed their bases of operations to Pearl Harbor. She was present at battleship row along Ford Island during the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor on 7 December 1941.
She was decommissioned on 3 April 1947 and sold for scrap.
— Submitted April 1, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.
Categories. • War, World II •
Credits. This page was last revised on November 22, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 1, 2008, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,569 times since then and 42 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on December 20, 2007, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on April 1, 2008, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.