Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Liberty in Clay County, Missouri — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
 

Clay County Historical Museum

Clay County Historical Society Historic Landmark

 
 
Clay County Historical Museum Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., July 30, 2013
1. Clay County Historical Museum Marker
Inscription.

Drugstore built in 1877 by Daniel Hughes. Owned by Wm. Goodson after 1908. Operated by Joseph Simmons until 1945, then by Clarence Ferril. Purchased from Goodson estate complete with furnishings by Historical Museum in 1965. Walnut cabinets are original, built by John Will Hall.

This property
built in 1877
has been placed on the
National Register
of Historic Places

by the United States
Department of the Interior
1993

 
Erected 1976 by Clay County Historical Society and Council of Camp Fire Girls District 5.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Missouri, Clay County Historic Landmarks marker series.
 
Location. 39° 14.79′ N, 94° 25.228′ W. Marker is in Liberty, Missouri, in Clay County. Marker is on Main Street south of Franklin Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 14 North Main Street, Liberty MO 64068, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. 16 North Main Street (here, next to this marker); 12 North Main Street (here, next to this marker); World War Memorial
Clay County Historical Museum Marker Detail image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., July 30, 2013
2. Clay County Historical Museum Marker Detail
(a few steps from this marker); Clay County Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); First National Bank (within shouting distance of this marker); Liberty Tribune (within shouting distance of this marker); 1 East Kansas Street (within shouting distance of this marker); Boggess Hardware Store (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Liberty.
 
Regarding Clay County Historical Museum. Building is a contributing member of the West Liberty Courthouse Square Historic District.
 
Also see . . .
1. West Liberty Courthouse Square Historic District National Register Nomination. (Submitted on August 26, 2013, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Clay County Museum & Historical Society (MO). (Submitted on August 29, 2013, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
 
Categories. Notable Buildings
 
14 North Main Street NRHP Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., July 30, 2013
3. 14 North Main Street NRHP Marker
Clay County Historical Museum and Markers image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., July 30, 2013
4. Clay County Historical Museum and Markers
Clay County marker on wall above white car; NRHP marker on wall above gray car
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 26, 2013, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 341 times since then and 25 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 26, 2013, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.
Paid Advertisement