Gainesboro in Jackson County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
Cumberland River Campaign
Burning of Old Columbus
Late in December 1863, Gen. Ulysses S. Grant sent a naval convoy up the river from Nashville to Creelsboro, Ky., on a reconnaissance and supply mission. The U.S. gunboats Reindeer and Silver Lake No. 2 under U.S. Navy Lt. Henry A. Glassford accompanied three transports carrying a detachment of 140 sharpshooters from the 129th Illinois Infantry, under the command of Col. Andrew J. Cropsey. At five locations including Gainesboro, the county seat, Confederate guerrilla bands fired on the convoy as it headed upriver. Tennessee military governor Andrew Johnson had decided to establish a Federal army post there because the town was a base of operations for Confederate partisans in the region. He ordered gunboat commanders not to destroy the town so that the buildings could be used for military purposes. After the Federals occupied Gainesboro, Union forces began to suppress partisan warfare. During a February 1864 raid into the countryside, Col. Henry K. McConnell’s 71st Ohio Infantry pursued two companies of Confederate rangers led by Cols. Oliver P. Hamilton and John M. Hughs. The Federal force arrived at Columbus,
“The country between Carthage and the Cumberland Mountains through which we passed is bordering upon famine. Families without regard to politics are eaten out and plundered by those common enemies of mankind (rangers) until even those formerly wealthy are utterly reduced, and many of the poorer are now actually starving.”
— Col. Henry K. McConnell, 71st Ohio Infantry
“Jackson County was represented to me as the seat of operations of several guerilla bands, and it fully merits its reputation, for we had scarcely touched the county line before guerillas were discovered on the lookout for us.”
— Lt. Henry A. Glassford, USN
(Inscription under the photo in the upper center)
USS Gunboat Silver Lake No. 2, from The Photographic History of the Civil War (1911)
Erected by Tennessee Civil War Trails.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Tennessee Civil War Trails marker series.
Location. 36° 22.667′ N, 85° 38.45′ W. Marker is in Gainesboro, Tennessee, in Jackson County. Marker Touch for map. The marker is on the grounds of the Upper Cumberland Electric Membership Corp. Marker is in this post office area: Gainesboro TN 38562, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 14 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Confederate Field Hospital (approx. 1.7 miles away); Alvan Cullen Gillem (approx. 1.8 miles away); Butler's Landing / Bailey Butler (approx. 9.1 miles away); John Hunt Morgan (approx. 9.4 miles away); Granville, Tennessee (approx. 11.4 miles away); Civil War in Granville (approx. 11.4 miles away); History of the Webb Cemetery (approx. 13.8 miles away); Donaldson Cemetery (approx. 13.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Gainesboro.
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 2, 2013, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 553 times since then and 74 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on September 2, 2013, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. • Al Wolf was the editor who published this page.