Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Castalian Springs in Sumner County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
 

Thomas Sharpe Spencer Memorial

 
 
Thomas Sharpe Spencer Memorial Marker image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, July 23, 2013
1. Thomas Sharpe Spencer Memorial Marker
Inscription. On this spot stood the hollow sycamore tree in which Thos. Sharpe Spencer spent the winter of 1778-79., deserted by his companions for fear of Indians. Spencer helped build at Bledsoe’s Lick, 50-yds. south of this spot, the first cabin in middle Tenn., and planted the first crop of corn. He was killed by Indians April 1st, 1794 on the site since known as Spencer’s Hill.
 
Erected 1927 by Gen. Jas. Robertson Chapter D.A.R.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution marker series.
 
Location. 36° 23.667′ N, 86° 18.867′ W. Marker is in Castalian Springs, Tennessee, in Sumner County. Marker is on Old Highway 25 west of Governor Hall Road, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Castalian Springs TN 37031, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Bledsoe's Lick (here, next to this marker); Wynnewood (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); General William Hall (approx. ¼ mile away); Bledsoe's Fort and Monument (approx. 0.3 miles away); Hawthorne Hill
Thomas Sharpe Spencer Memorial Marker image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, July 23, 2013
2. Thomas Sharpe Spencer Memorial Marker
(approx. one mile away); Cragfont (approx. 1½ miles away); a different marker also named Cragfont (approx. 1.7 miles away); Ziegler's Station (approx. 2.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Castalian Springs.
 
Categories. Settlements & SettlersWar, French and Indian
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 7, 2013, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. This page has been viewed 438 times since then and 57 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on September 7, 2013, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. • Al Wolf was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement