Merion Station in Montgomery County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
—General Wayne Inn —
Opened in 1704, this tavern was known in Colonial times as the William Penn Inn, the Tunis Ordinary and Streeper’s Tavern. Familiar to Franklin and Washington, the inn was renamed, shortly after the Revolution, in honor of Gen. Wayne, who had lodged here.
Erected by Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission.
Location. 40° 0.535′ N, 75° 15.189′ W. Marker is in Merion Station, Pennsylvania, in Montgomery County. Marker is on Montgomery Avenue, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 625 Montgomery Avenue, Merion Station PA 19066, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Philadelphia and Columbia Railway (within shouting distance of this marker); John Dickinson (within shouting distance of this marker); Merion Friends Meeting House (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Merion Friends Meeting (about 600 feet away); Washington's Army Encampment (about 700 feet away); James A. Bland (approx. 0.8 miles away); Wilt Chamberlain (1936-1999) (approx. 2.1 miles away); Philadelphia & Columbia Railroad (approx. 2.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Merion Station.
Also see . . . General Wayne Inn - Wikipedia. (Submitted on September 12, 2013, by Keith S Smith of West Chester, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Colonial Era • Industry & Commerce • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 12, 2013, by Keith S Smith of West Chester, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 326 times since then and 37 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 12, 2013, by Keith S Smith of West Chester, Pennsylvania. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.