Near Bryan in Brazos County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Route of El Camino Real
(Also known as Old San Antonio Road and Old Spanish Road)
Over the centuries, explorers, traders, smugglers, armed men, and civilians traversed this road. In 1820 Moses Austin traveled it to San Antonio to request a land grant from Spanish officials. The colonizing venture he started later brought thousands of Anglo-Americans over the road to help settle Texas.
In 1915 the Texas Legislature appropriated $5,000 to survey and mark the route. The Daughters of the American Revolution and other patriotic groups sponsored and endorsed the project, and V.N. Zivley was commissioned to make the survey. In 1918 the state and D.A.R. placed granite markers approximately every five miles along the Texas section of the road.
Today many modern highways, particularly State 21, follow the original route of El Camino Real.
Erected 1973 by State Historical Survey Committee
Marker series. This marker is included in the El Camino Real de los Tejas National Historic Trail marker series.
Location. 30° 38.737′ N, 96° 30.34′ W. Marker is near Bryan, Texas, in Brazos County. Marker is on Old San Antonio Road 0.2 miles north of Texas Highway 21, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Bryan TX 77807, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 14 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Moseley's Ferry (approx. 2.7 miles away); Texas A&M University (approx. 10.5 miles away); Shiloh Community (approx. 12.2 miles away); John Mitchell (approx. 13.6 miles away); Burleson County (approx. 13.6 miles away); City of Caldwell (approx. 13.7 miles away); Burleson County in World War II (approx. 13.7 miles away); Early Settlers of Burleson County in the Texas War for Independence (approx. 13.7 miles away).
Categories. • Exploration • Roads & Vehicles • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 15, 2013, by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas. This page has been viewed 830 times since then and 107 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 15, 2013, by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.