Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Hickory Corners in Kalamazoo County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

W.K. Kellogg House

 
 
W.K. Kellogg House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, September 17, 2013
1. W.K. Kellogg House Marker
Inscription. W.K. Kellogg (1860-1951) founded the Toasted Corn Flake Company of Battle Creek in 1906. In 1925, Kellogg and his second wife, Dr. Carrie Staines, a physician at the Battle Creek Sanitarium, commissioned Benjamin and Benjamin of Grand Rapids to design a summer house here. Their picturesque estate included this Neo-Tudor manor house, a windmill, a greenhouse, a stable, a boathouse, a combined guest house, garage and chauffeur's residence and a caretaker's house. Marshall Field and Company of Chicago decorated the interior. From 1944 to 1950 the estate served as a rehabilitation center for the Percy Jones Army Hospital in Battle Creek. In 1952 the W.K. Kellogg Foundation gave the property to Michigan State College (now Michigan State University), which developed it as the Kellogg Gull Lake Biological Station.
 
Erected 1991 by Bureau of History, Michigan Department of State. (Marker Number S605A.)
 
Location. 42° 24.341′ N, 85° 24.111′ W. Marker is near Hickory Corners, Michigan, in Kalamazoo County. Marker can be reached from E. Gull Lake Drive north of E. B Avenue, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is located at the Academic Center / Conference Center / Kellogg Manor House unit
W.K. Kellogg House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, September 17, 2013
2. W.K. Kellogg House Marker
of the Michigan State University W.K. Kellogg Biological Station. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3700 E. Gull Lake Drive, Hickory Corners MI 49060, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Community Library (approx. 3.4 miles away); The First Presbyterian Church (approx. 3.4 miles away); First Religious Service in Kalamazoo County (approx. 3.4 miles away); Park Theatre (approx. 5.6 miles away); Barn Theatre (approx. 5.8 miles away); William Rufus Shafter Memorial (approx. 8.1 miles away); U.S.S. Maine Memorial (approx. 8.1 miles away); Congregational United Church of Christ (approx. 8.2 miles away).
 
Also see . . .  W.K. Kellogg Manor House History. From the W.K. Kellogg Biological Station website. (Submitted on September 25, 2013.) 
 
Categories. Notable Buildings
 
W.K. Kellogg Manor House image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, September 17, 2013
3. W.K. Kellogg Manor House
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 25, 2013, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 344 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on September 25, 2013, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.
Paid Advertisement