Antwerp in Paulding County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Antwerp and Carryall Township
The completion of the Wabash and Erie Canal on July 4, 1843 brought many new settlers into this region. The Wabash and Erie Canal connected with the Miami and Erie Canal at Junction. Antwerp, ideally located on the Maumee River, was seen as a perfect place in which to establish a town. That same year surveyors W. Wilshire Riley and Samuel Rice platted what would become Antwerp. Naming rights belonged to Riley and storeowner Horatio N. Curtis, who wanting a name not duplicated anywhere else in the country, named it after Antwerp, Belgium. Early pioneers subdued the massive forests that once formed the "Black Swamp" and built a thriving city. Antwerp was incorporated in 1863.
The Toledo, Wabash & Western Railroad was the first railroad built in Paulding County, and it arrived in Antwerp in 1855. The railroad eventually led to the demise of the canal, and from 1855 on, most new settlers arrived by train. As wood industries flourished, Antwerp became the largest village in the county during the Civil War period. Antwerp is known for several places and events--the Norfolk & Western Railway Depot, which is on the National Register of Historic Places, the Antwerp Reds Baseball Team, which allowed anyone to play on and "always seemed to win," the 1938 Antwerp High School Football
Erected 2003 by Rock-a-Thon Gals to Honor All U.S.A. Military Veterans, Antwerp Gold Star Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 5087 and Auxilary, and the Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 3-63.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
Location. 41° 10.814′ N, 84° 44.447′ W. Marker is in Antwerp, Ohio, in Paulding County. Marker is at the intersection of Railroad Street and Cleveland Street, on the right when traveling east on Railroad Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 105 Railroad Street, Antwerp OH 45813, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Daeida Hartell Wilcox Beveridge / Amelia Swilley Bingham (approx. 7.8 miles away); St. Paul's Episcopal Church (approx. 7.8 miles away); Land Office Building (approx. 7.9 miles away); Paulding County (approx. 8.9 miles away); Paulding County Veterans Memorial Paulding County Carnegie Library (approx. 8.9 miles away); Spencerville Covered Bridge (approx. 11.4 miles away in Indiana); First Settlement in DeKalb County Indiana 1828 (approx. 11.8 miles away in Indiana).
Categories. • Railroads & Streetcars • Settlements & Settlers • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 2, 2013, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 364 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on October 2, 2013, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.