Bethesda in Montgomery County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Walter Reed Monument
—Walter Reed National Military Medical Center —
Text inscribed on north face of monument:
1851 - 1902
In honor of
his great work
in the fight
of yellow fever
Text inscribed on south face of monument:
the high public service
Major Walter Reed, U.S.A.
Text on plaque (south face of monument) beneath two photos of the monument in its original location at the former Walter Reed Army Medical Center, Washington, DC:
Erected 2013 by U.S. Department of Defense
Location. 39° 0.196′ N, 77° 5.616′ W. Marker is in Bethesda, Maryland, in Montgomery County. Marker is on Palmer Road, N east of Wood Road. Touch for map. The monument is in the Medical Center's "Healing Plaza" - near its north end, off Palmer Road, N. The main entrance to the facility is via the security guard post on the right when traveling north on Rockville Pike/Wisconsin Avenue (Maryland Route 355). Marker is at or near this postal address: 8901 Wisconsin Ave., Bethesda MD 20889, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Walter Reed Memorial (here, next to this marker); "All are Welcome to the Healing Plaza" (a few steps from this marker); National Naval Medical Center (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); National Naval Medical Center in the 1940’s (about 700 feet away); Old Spring House & Pool of Bethesda (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Centennial Anchor (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Louis Stokes Laboratories (approx. half a mile away); Tree of Hippocrates (was approx. half a mile away but has been reported missing. ). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bethesda.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. To better understand the relationship, study each marker in the order
Additional keywords. "Yellow Jack"
Categories. • Military • Notable Persons • Science & Medicine •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 4, 2013, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. This page has been viewed 308 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 4, 2013, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.