Near Franklin in Williamson County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
Leigh-Morgan Property at Grassland
In 1898 Thomas J. and Mattie Dudley Leigh purchased a 103-acre parcel of land on the west side of Hillsboro Pike in the area known as the Grassland community. Supporting the family as farm land and orchids, the property evolved into a business community beginning with Bobís Service Station in 1939, owned by daughter, Eliza B. Leigh Morgan and husband, Bob Morgan, Sr. Further commercial development was continued by son, R.W. (Bobby) Morgan, Jr. on his portion of the family property.
Having attended local schools, Grassland Elementary, Battle Ground Academy and Franklin High and serving 3 years in the U.S. Navy, Bobby Morgan returned to Grassland with the entrepreneurial foresight to plan, develop and build the Grassland Shopping Center. In a spirit of community service characteristic of his life he donated use of the land for a Williamson County Rescue Station and a County Convenience Center for many years. The thriving businesses here today continue to serve the community
Erected 2010 by Williamson County Historical Society in memory of Bobby Morgan 1929-2009.
Location. 35° 59.886′ N, 86° 53.184′ W. Marker is near Franklin, Tennessee, in Williamson Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Franklin TN 37069, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Allen Manufacturing Company (approx. 4.7 miles away); Abram Maury (approx. 4.7 miles away); John Price Buchanan (approx. 4.9 miles away); Riverview (approx. 4.9 miles away); Fort Granger Federal Garrison (approx. 5 miles away); Retreat Action at Franklin (approx. 5 miles away); Old Factory Store (approx. 5.1 miles away); St. Philip Catholic Church (approx. 5.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Franklin.
Categories. • Charity & Public Work •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 4, 2013, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 276 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 4, 2013, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. • Al Wolf was the editor who published this page.