Near Halifax in Dauphin County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Erected 1952 by Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Union Canal marker series.
Location. 40° 23.781′ N, 77° 0.388′ W. Marker is near Halifax, Pennsylvania, in Dauphin County. Marker is on South River Road (Route 147), on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. The marker is next to the railroad tracks, just south of the U.S. 22 & 322, near Clarks Ferry Bridge over the Susquehanna River. Marker is in this post office area: Halifax PA 17032, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Clark's Ferry Bridge Company (approx. half a mile away); Lightning Guider Sleds (approx. 0.9 miles away); a different marker also named Pennsylvania Canal (approx. 1.4 miles away); a different marker also named Pennsylvania Canal Pennsylvania Canal (approx. 2.5 miles away); Col. Timothy Green (approx. 4.3 miles away); Rockville Bridge (approx. 5.3 miles away); Village of Heckton (approx. 6 miles away).
Regarding Pennsylvania Canal. The Pennsylvania Canal's Eastern Division, which opened in 1833, ran 43 miles along the east side of the Susquehanna River between Columbia and Duncan's Island at the mouth of the Juniata River. The canal included 14 locks with an average lift of 7.5 feet. The state originally planned a canal of 24 miles running between the Union Canal at Middletown to the Juniata. However, the plan changed in 1828, when the state opted to extend the Eastern Division 19 miles further south to connect with the Philadelphia and Columbia Railroad at Columbia.
Additional keywords. Transportaion, Pennsylvania Canal, Clark's Ferry, Susquehanna, Lykens Valley, Wiconisco Canal
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 5, 2008, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. This page has been viewed 1,663 times since then and 42 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on October 14, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. 2. submitted on April 5, 2008, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. 3. submitted on October 14, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. • Christopher Busta-Peck was the editor who published this page.