Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Franklin in Williamson County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
 

Allen Manufacturing Company

 
 
Allen Manufacturing Company Marker image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, July 25, 2013
1. Allen Manufacturing Company Marker
Inscription. This complex of ten depression-era buildings, with a total of 310,000 square feet, housed four different factories over its industrial lifetime. The buildings were built for the Allen Manufacturing Co. (stove manufacturers) in 1929. More than $100,000 worth of preferred stock was sold locally to finance their construction. After Allen Manufacturing went into receivership during the Great Depression, Dortch Stove Works (1932-1955), Magic Chef (1955-1959) and Jamison Bedding Company (1962-1991) successively occupied this site, which is on the National Register of Historic Places. In 1997-98, the complex was renovated by Franklin businessman Calvin LeHew as a commercial, retail, and entertainment center.
 
Erected 1998 by Williamson County Historical Society.
 
Location. 35° 55.967′ N, 86° 51.683′ W. Marker is in Franklin, Tennessee, in Williamson County. Marker is on Franklin Road north of Liberty Pike. Touch for map. Marker sits in plant parking lot - in front of said building (number 11). Marker is in this post office area: Franklin TN 37064, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. John Price Buchanan (approx. mile away); Fort Granger Federal Garrison (approx.
Allen Manufacturing Company Marker image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, July 25, 2013
2. Allen Manufacturing Company Marker
mile away); Retreat Action at Franklin (approx. 0.3 miles away); Riverview (approx. 0.3 miles away); Old Factory Store (approx. half a mile away); Franklin Cotton Factory and Foundry / Lillie Mills (approx. 0.6 miles away); John H. Eaton (approx. 0.6 miles away); Original St. Philip Catholic Church (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Franklin.
 
Categories. Industry & Commerce
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 5, 2013, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. This page has been viewed 267 times since then and 33 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on October 5, 2013, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. • Al Wolf was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement