Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Bethesda in Montgomery County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

The Centennial Anchor

October 16, 1987

 
 
The Centennial Anchor Marker image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, August 14, 2013
1. The Centennial Anchor Marker
Inscription. This centennial anchor, originally from a Coast Guard cutter, rested for many years in front of the Staten Island Marine Hospital where the National Institutes of Health began in 1887 with the founding of the Hygienic Laboratory. It was presented to the NIH on the occasion of the centennial celebration to commemorate a century of science for health and to symbolize the maritime origins of the Public Health Service.
 
Erected 1987.
 
Location. 39° 0.033′ N, 77° 6.021′ W. Marker is in Bethesda, Maryland, in Montgomery County. Marker is at the intersection of South Drive and Center Drive when traveling west on South Drive. Touch for map. The anchor is in the triangle formed by the intersection of South drive and Center Drive on the NIH campus. (Photo ID is required to enter the campus). Marker is in this post office area: Bethesda MD 20892, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Louis Stokes Laboratories (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); President Franklin D. Roosevelt (about 600 feet away); Old Spring House & Pool of Bethesda (approx. mile away); At This Location
The Centennial Anchor Marker image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, August 14, 2013
2. The Centennial Anchor Marker
(approx. mile away); Tree of Hippocrates (approx. 0.3 miles away); a different marker also named Tree of Hippocrates (was approx. 0.3 miles away but has been reported missing. ); National Naval Medical Center in the 1940s (approx. 0.3 miles away); National Naval Medical Center (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bethesda.
 
Categories. Science & Medicine
 
The Public Health Service Seal image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, August 14, 2013
3. The Public Health Service Seal
on the plaque
The Centennial Anchor image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, August 14, 2013
4. The Centennial Anchor
The Centennial Anchor image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, August 14, 2013
5. The Centennial Anchor
This Institute image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, August 15, 2013
6. This Institute

This 1938 plaque inside Building 1 tells the story of NIH from its inception 1887 to its move to Bethesda in 1938.

This Institute is dedicated to the investigation of matters pertaining to the Public Health.

In the year 1887 a bacteriological laboratory was established in the Marine Hospital. New York City. Four years later the laboratory was transferred to Washington and quartered with administrative offices at New Jersey Avenue and B Street, Southeast. In 1901 the Congress appropriated $35,000 for a building for the Hygienic Laboratory which was erected as Twenty-fifth and E Streets, Northwest, on land acquired by transfer from the Navy Department. The establishment on that site was enlarged by on building authorized by Congress in 1918, and two buildings authorized in 1930. In the latter year, by act of Congress, the name was changed to The National Institute of Health.

In the year 1935,Mr. and Mrs. Luke I. Wilson of Bethesda, Maryland. donated a tract of land to the United States Government for the use of the National Institute of Health. In the following year funds were allocated for the construction of buildings on this site. Work was begun on the first three buildings of this group in 1938.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 18, 2013, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. This page has been viewed 446 times since then and 30 times this year. Last updated on October 7, 2013, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on August 18, 2013, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement