San Marcos in Hays County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Charles Lewis McGehee Cabin
Erected 1985 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 10294.)
Location. 29° 51.329′ N, 97° 53.891′ W. Marker is in San Marcos, Texas, in Hays County. Marker is on North Old Bastrop Highway (County Route 266) 1.3 miles south of San Marcos Highway (Texas Highway 80), on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is just within the gate of private property on Rancho De Camino Real - Railroad Road south of the San Marcos River. Marker is in this post office area: San Marcos TX 78666, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Site of the First Town of San Marcos (a few steps from this marker); Don Felipe Roque de la Portilla Col. Ignacio Elizondo’s 1813 Campaign (approx. ¼ mile away); Gen. Antonio Gaona’s 1836 Campaign (was approx. one mile away but has been reported missing. ); El Camino De Nacogdoches (was approx. 2.1 miles away but has been reported missing. ); The Calaboose (approx. 3.2 miles away); The Courthouses of Hays County (approx. 3.2 miles away); The Old Triangle (approx. 3.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in San Marcos.
Categories. • Roads & Vehicles • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 7, 2013, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. This page has been viewed 434 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 7, 2013, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.