Perryville in Cecil County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Erected 1962 by Society of Daughters of Colonial Wars In the State of Maryland.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Daughters of Colonial Wars marker series.
Location. 39° 33.424′ N, 76° 4.686′ W. Marker is in Perryville, Maryland, in Cecil County. Marker can be reached from Broad Street (Maryland Route 7) 0.1 miles east of Frenchtown Road, on the right when traveling east. Marker is on the right side of the entry to Rodgers Tavern. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Perryville MD 21903, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Old Post Road - Lower Susquehanna Ferry - Rodgers' Tavern (a few steps from this marker); Perryville (within shouting distance of this Revered Son (within shouting distance of this marker); Count de Rochambeau’s Troops (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Flag Pole Memorial (approx. 0.7 miles away); Under Attack (approx. ¾ mile away); Susquehanna Lower Ferry (approx. ¾ mile away); American Legion Post No. 47 (approx. 0.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Perryville.
Also see . . .
1. The Town of Perryville. Scroll down for a brief history of Rodger's Tavern. (Submitted on February 23, 2010, by Roger Dean Meyer of Yankton, South Dakota.)
2. Rodgers Tavern (Stevenson's Tavern),. CE-129 , Maryland Inventory of Historic Properties.
"Rodgers Tavern is of national importance due to the frequent visits of George Washington between the years 1775-1798. Colonel John Rodgers (1728-1791), the owner during most of Washington's visits, was the progenitor of the Rodgers family which distinguished itself in the formation and growth of the United States Navy. Also the visits of distinguished persons, namely Martha Washington, Lafayette,
Prior to John Rodgers' purchase of the tavern in 1780, it was operated by William Stevenson. George Washington's diary of May 7, 1775 mentions having "dined at Rogers and lodged at Stevenson's". John Rodgers already had established a tavern in Havre de Grace and a ferry across the Susquehanna River between Havre de Grace and the spot where Stevenson operated his tavern. George Washington's next stop was a year after John Rodgers had bought "Mr. Stevenson's Tavern". Rodgers at that time was operating two taverns and the ferry between. After Rodgers' death in-1791 his widow operated the taverns. Between 1775 and 1798, George Washington mentions having stopped at the Susquehanna River over thirty times, to dine or lodge. (Submitted on October 9, 2013, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.)
Categories. • Colonial Era • War, US Revolutionary •
More. Search the internet for Rodgers Tavern.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 23, 2010, by Roger Dean Meyer of Yankton, South Dakota. This page has been viewed 1,387 times since then and 43 times this year. Last updated on October 9, 2013, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on February 23, 2010, by Roger Dean Meyer of Yankton, South Dakota. 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on October 9, 2013, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.