Montgomery in Montgomery County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Naming the City of Montgomery / Brigadier General Richard Montgomery
Naming the City of Montgomery
Montgomery named for Richard Montgomery, first American general killed in the Revolutionary War. In 1819, the Alabama Legislature combined New Philadelphia and East Alabama to form Montgomery. Walter B. Lucas, later of Lucas' Tavern on Line Creek, suggested the name to Andrew Dexter, prompted by fanfare occasioned by the return of the General's body from Canada to New York City for burial in June of 1818.
Brigadier General Richard Montgomery
Erected 1992 by Alabama Historical Association.
Location. 32° 22.635′ N, 86° 18.565′ W. Marker is in Montgomery, Alabama, in Montgomery County. Marker is at the intersection of Court Square Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Montgomery AL 36104, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Court Square Fountain (a few steps from this marker); City of Montgomery / Court Square (within shouting distance of this marker); Here Stood Mrs. Rosa Parks (within shouting distance of this marker); An Intersection of History: Court Square (within shouting distance of this marker); Montgomery’s Slave Markets / First Emancipation Observance - 1866 (within shouting distance of this marker); Rosa Louise McCauley Parks / The Bus Stop (within shouting distance of this marker); The Lightning Route / Central Bank Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Decorative Lions Heads (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Montgomery.
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page was last revised on August 15, 2018. This page originally submitted on October 14, 2013, by Sandra Hughes of Killen, Usa. This page has been viewed 497 times since then and 51 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 14, 2013, by Sandra Hughes of Killen, Usa. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.