Clear Spring in Washington County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
A Road Nurtures A Vision
The Historic National Road and Clear Spring
In 1821, Martin Myers chose a site that straddled a “clear spring” at the foot of Fairview Mountain to lay out a village he called “Myersville.” Fifteen years later the town was called “Clear Spring” and its 700 thriving inhabitants provided services for travelers on the National Road. As many as twenty-four stagecoaches passed through the town each day. Seven hotels offered food and lodging—twelve cents a night for a bed shared by three strangers.
Twenty-five shoemakers, six tailors, four blacksmiths, three wheel wrights, three wagon makers, three saddlers and endless store keepers kept busy as the National Road flourished.
Today, many of the early buildings remain and the faces of characters from the National Road provide a glimpse into its past.
(sidebar) Special Delivery. In the early 1900’s
Marker series. This marker is included in the The Historic National Road marker series.
Location. 39° 39.406′ N, 77° 55.691′ W. Marker is in Clear Spring, Maryland, in Washington County. Marker is at the intersection of Cumberland Street (U.S. 40) and Mill Street (Maryland Route 68), on the right when traveling west on Cumberland Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Clear Spring MD 21722, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Gettysburg Campaign (here, next to this marker); Clear Spring (about 800 feet away, measured in a direct line); Fort Frederick (approx. 0.2 miles Clear Spring Veterans Memorial (approx. ¼ mile away); Vital Crossroads (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Clear Spring.
Categories. • Roads & Vehicles •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 17, 2006, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 1,532 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on November 17, 2006, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.