Essex in Middlesex County, Connecticut — The American Northeast (New England)
It Happened Here!
Historic Essex Waterfront
While a lot has changed since this 1881 “Birds-Eye-View” of Essex, a lot has remained the same including most of the houses along Main Street. Originally known as Pettipaug, Essex was first settled in 1648. It became a colonial seaport and shipbuilding center. This now tranquil waterfront has seen war, prosperity, decline and rebirth. It’s history has been connected to the world by the Great River which flows from its source 410 miles to the north to its mouth six miles south of where you are now standing. Here the fresh waters of the River mingle with the salty brine of Long Island Sound and the oceans of the world! Today, Essex Harbor is a classic New England yachting town and an environmental success story.
Explore these stories and more within the historic walls of the Connecticut River Museum.
Location. 41° 21.06′ N, 72° 23.088′ W. Marker is in Essex, Connecticut, in Middlesex County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street and Novelty Lane, on the left when traveling east on Main Street. Touch for map. Located in front of the Connecticut River Museum. Marker is at or near this postal address: 67 Main Street, Essex CT 06426, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Warship Oliver Cromwell Essex (approx. ¼ mile away); Hills Academy (approx. half a mile away); Early Essex Village (approx. half a mile away); Essex Veterans Memorial (approx. 1.6 miles away); Essex Veterans Monument (approx. 1.7 miles away); American Legion Post 113 Memorial (approx. 2.7 miles away); Ivoryton (approx. 3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Essex.
Also see . . . Connecticut River Museum. (Submitted on October 16, 2013, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.)
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 16, 2013, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 276 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 16, 2013, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.