Arlington in Tarrant County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Bankhead Highway Through Arlington
In 1920, as part of the “Good Roads” project, the Bankhead Highway system, named for John Willis Bankhead, was designed as a portion of the new National Auto Trail system, running from Washington, D.C. to San Diego. The road mostly followed State Highway 1, and would be built along Division Street in Arlington. The chosen safer route was entirely new construction, 25 feet wide and eight inches thick, covering 5.84 miles from the Dallas County line to the west side of Arlington. By design, rail crossings were eliminated including “Death Crossing” west of town. The Highway was declared open to traffic in Nov. 1922.
Over time, the Highway has expanded and some of its early features no longer exist including
Marker is property of the State of Texas
Erected 2011 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 16963.)
Location. 32° 44.33′ N, 97° 6.422′ W. Marker is in Arlington, Texas, in Tarrant County. Marker is at the intersection of North Center Street and East Division Street (State Highway 180), on the right when traveling south on North Center Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Arlington TX 76011, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Houston Hitching Block (approx. 0.2 miles away); Carver Dixon King (approx. 0.2 miles away); Booker T. Washington School (approx. 0.4 miles away); Arlington Downs Racetrack and Fountain (approx. 2.3 miles away); Site of Arlington Downs Racetrack (approx. 2.3 miles away); Jesse Chisholm (approx. 3.4 miles away); Site of Bird's Fort (approx. 3.4 miles away); Sloan-Journey Expedition of 1838 (approx. 3.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Arlington.
Regarding Bankhead Highway Through Arlington. There is a factual error. The Bankhead Highway was named after John Hollis Bankhead, not John Willis Bankhead. Despite the date on the marker, it was dedicated Sunday June 23, 2013.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Roads & Vehicles •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 18, 2013, by QuesterMark of Fort Worth, Texas. This page has been viewed 587 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 18, 2013, by QuesterMark of Fort Worth, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.