Mosheim in Greene County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
Battles of Blue Springs
Fighting on the Same Ground Twice
Union Gen. Alvan C. Gillemís cavalry force marching from Bulls Gap met a small Confederate force on the same battlefield on August 23, 1864. The Federals engaged Confederate Col. Henry L. Giltnerís 4th Kentucky Cavalry pickets and drove them back two miles toward the ridge south of Greeneville Road, where they encountered more Confederate troops. Giltnerís men repulsed repeated Union attacks. Then William Brown, a local boy, pointed out a “by road” to Union Col. John K. Miller who used it to reposition his 13th Tennessee Cavalry. His next attack turned the Confederate left flank. A frontal
Lloyd's Official Map of the State of Tennessee, 1863 Courtesy Library of Congress
Gen. Ambrose E. Burnside Courtesy Library of Congress
Gen. Alvan C. Gillem Courtesy Library of Congress
Gen John S. Williams Courtesy Library of Congress
Erected by Tennessee Civil War Trails.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Tennessee Civil War Trails marker series.
Location. 36° 11.152′ N, 82° 56.068′ W. Marker is in Mosheim, Tennessee, in Greene County. Marker is on West Andrew Johnson Highway (U.S. 11E) west of Emerald Road, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 6766 West Andrew Johnson Highway, Mosheim TN 37818, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Battle of Blue Springs (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Blue Springs Lutheran Congregation Pottertown Bridge Burners (approx. 4.5 miles away); Bridge Burners Monument (approx. 4.6 miles away); Execution of the "Bridge-Burners" (approx. 4.7 miles away); George Clem School (approx. 5.5 miles away); Bridge Burners (approx. 5.7 miles away); Andrew Johnson National Cemetery (approx. 5.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Mosheim.
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 21, 2013, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. This page has been viewed 525 times since then and 87 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 21, 2013, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.