Near Wetumpka in Elmore County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Here Stood Fort Toulouse
A defense against
The Alabama Society
of Colonial Dames
preserves the memory
of faithful service
Erected 1912 by Alabama Society of Colonial Dames.
Marker series. This marker is included in the National Historic Landmarks, and the National Society of Colonial Dames of America marker series.
Location. 32° 30.263′ N, 86° 15.308′ W. Marker is near Wetumpka, Alabama, in Elmore County. Marker can be reached from West Fort Toulouse Road 0.3 miles west of Jackson Park Road, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is located within the Fort Toulouse-Fort Jackson National Historical Park, beyond the end of West Fort Toulouse Road. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2521 West Fort Toulouse Road, Wetumpka AL 36093, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Fort Jackson (here, next to this marker); William Bartram Arboretum (approx. 0.2 miles away); Bartram's Trail (approx. 2.4 miles away); Williams Lowndes Yancey First Baptist Church of Wetumpka (approx. 3.6 miles away); Wetumpka Methodist Church (approx. 3.6 miles away); Wetumpka L&N Depot (approx. 3.6 miles away); The Wetumpka Light Guard (approx. 3.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Wetumpka.
Also see . . .
1. History is alive and well at Fort Toulouse-Fort Jackson Park. Native Americans, French soldiers and settlers, American soldiers and settlers, and modern archaeologists have all left their marks. (Submitted on October 21, 2013, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Fort Toulouse. Fort Toulouse was one of a series of forts built by the French to protect their holdings in the American South from British infringement during the eighteenth century. (Submitted on October 21, 2013, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
3. Fort Toulouse/Fort Jackson. In 1717, when this region was part of French Louisiana, the French built a fort near the strategically vital junction where the Tallapoosa and Coosa Rivers form the Alabama River (Submitted on October 21, 2013, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Colonial Era • Forts, Castles • Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on January 5, 2018. This page originally submitted on October 21, 2013, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 758 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 21, 2013, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10. submitted on October 22, 2013, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.