Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Chicago in Cook County, Illinois — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Henry B. Clarke House

1836

 
 
Henry B. Clarke House Marker image. Click for full size.
October 19, 2013
1. Henry B. Clarke House Marker
Inscription. Known as the widow Clarke's house, this is Chicago's oldest building and its only surviving example of the Greek Revival style fashionable in the early 1800s.
 
Erected by Commission on Chicago Historical and Architectural Landmarks.
 
Location. 41° 51.43′ N, 87° 37.321′ W. Marker is in Chicago, Illinois, in Cook County. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1827 South Indiana Avenue, Chicago IL 60616, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Visionary (within shouting distance of this marker); John J. Glessner House (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); George Pullman (about 500 feet away); Second Presbyterian Church (about 800 feet away); Battle of Fort Dearborn (about 800 feet away); Wheeler–Kohn House (approx. 0.2 miles away); American Book Company Building (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Platt Luggage Building (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Chicago.
 
Categories. Notable Buildings
 
Henry B. Clarke House image. Click for full size.
October 19, 2013
2. Henry B. Clarke House
Marker is located in the lower right of this photo.
Henry B. Clarke House image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, November 5, 2012
3. Henry B. Clarke House
Play House image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, November 5, 2012
4. Play House
Miniature Clarke House
Clarke House image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, November 5, 2012
5. Clarke House
“The Henry B. Clarke family built their house in the Greek Revival style in 1836 near what is now 1625 S. Michigan Avenue. In 1872 the house was sold and moved to 4526 S.Wabash.lt was relocated to its present site In 1977 and restored by the city of Chicago. Today it is known as the oldest house in Chicago.

The Clarkes purchased 20 acres of land on the shore of Lake Michigan in June 1835. Mr. Clarke was a part owner in the hardware firm of Jones, King and Company served as a director of the Illinois State Bank, and augmented his income by hunting and selling game.

Henry Clarke died in the cholera epidemic of 1849. His widow, Caroline Palmer, subdivided the property in the early I 850s, and made substantial improvements to the house. It was sold to John Chrimes in 1872, and to the St. Paul Church of God in Christ in 1941. In 1977, it was acquired by the city of Chicago.

The Clarke House was restored and opened to the public In 1982, and is furnished In the period of 1836-1860 by the National Society of the Colonial Dames of America in the State of Illinois. It is designated a Chicago Landmark and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.” -- sign at Prairie Avenue Museums.
The Cupola image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, November 5, 2012
6. The Cupola
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 8, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 21, 2013. This page has been viewed 452 times since then and 33 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on October 21, 2013.   3, 4, 5. submitted on November 25, 2016, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.   6. submitted on December 4, 2016, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Al Wolf was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement