Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Greeneville in Greene County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
 

John Gloucester

1776-1822

 
 
John Gloucester Marker image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, July 30, 2013
1. John Gloucester Marker
Inscription. Gideon Blackburn, a Presbyterian minister, purchased and sought to free a slave named Jack. Through Blackburn's tenacity and by action of the Blount County Court, he received his freedom and the name John Gloucester in 1807. Educated at Greenville (Tusculum) College, Gloucester became a Presbyterian missionary in 1809. Dr. Benjamin Rush, a Philadelphia physician and Gloucesterís friend, assisted in freeing his wife and children. The first African American ordained as a Presbyterian minister, Gloucester became a respected pastor and teacher in Philadelphia. His four sons became Presbyterian ministers.
 
Erected by Tennessee Historical Commission.
 
Location. 36° 10.5′ N, 82° 45.648′ W. Marker is in Greeneville, Tennessee, in Greene County. Marker is at the intersection of South Erwin Highway and High Street on South Erwin Highway. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Greeneville TN 37745, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Tusculum College (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Tusculum College (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Samuel Doak House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Andrew Johnson National Historic Site (approx. 1.4 miles away); Hendersonís Station (approx. 1.6 miles away); Harmony House (approx. 3.8 miles away); Old Harmony Graveyard (approx. 3.8 miles away); Capitol of State of Franklin (approx. 3.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Greeneville.
 
Categories. African AmericansChurches, Etc.Civil Rights
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 22, 2013, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. This page has been viewed 237 times since then and 21 times this year. Photo   1. submitted on October 22, 2013, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement