Johnson City in Washington County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
From 1785 to 1796, French botanist Andre Michaux, the foremost European botanist of his day, traveled throughout eastern North America. On assignment from the French monarchy, Michaux studied and collected North American plants, roots, and seeds for shipment to France. His travels brought him to present-day Tennessee in 1789, 1793, 1795, and 1796.
In May 1795 and March 1796, Michaux stayed at the home of Col. John Tipton. During the visit, he made notes about the spring wildflowers he found blooming in abundance. On March 21, 1796, he remarked that the mountains were covered in several places with bloodroot, spring beauty, and trout lily.
Erected by Tennessee Historical Commision.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Tennessee Historical Commission marker series.
Location. 36° 17.734′ N, 82° 19.919′ W. Marker is in Johnson City, Tennessee, in Washington County. Marker is on South Roan Street south of Bonita Drive, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. This marker is near the entrance to the Tipton-Haynes State Historic Site. Marker is in this post office area: Johnson City TN 37601, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers Tennessee Early History Monument (here, next to this marker); Tipton-Haynes Historic Site (here, next to this marker); Landon Carter Haynes (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); First Court of Washington County (approx. 0.9 miles away); Robins’ Roost (approx. 1.2 miles away); East Tennessee & Western North Carolina Depot (approx. 1.8 miles away); Johnson City (approx. 1.8 miles away); State Flag (approx. 1.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Johnson City.
Categories. • Horticulture & Forestry • Science & Medicine •
Credits. This page was last revised on May 14, 2018. This page originally submitted on October 23, 2013, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 242 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 23, 2013, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. • Al Wolf was the editor who published this page.