Blountville in Sullivan County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
Old Deery Inn
Refuge from the Storm
William Deery constructed this trading post and tavern, later known as the Old Derry Inn, early in the 1800s. As Deery prospered, he added to the building, including a three-story hewn stone structure in the rear. After his death about 1845, his widow lived here until the Cate family purchased it after the Civil War.
Although Deeryís children had left Sullivan
Old Deery Inn, 1927 — Courtesy Hunt Library
The dining room in the stone section of the inn where town residents took refuge during the Battle of Blountville
Erected by Tennessee Civil War Trails.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Tennessee Civil War Trails marker series.
Location. 36° 31.987′ N, 82° 19.57′ W. Marker is in Blountville, Tennessee, in Sullivan County. Marker is on Bristol Highway (Tennessee Route 126) west of Anderson Road, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3397 Bristol Highway, Blountville TN 37617, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named Old Deery Inn (a few steps from this marker); Anderson Townhouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Ralph Blizard (within shouting Battle of Blountville (within shouting distance of this marker); Sullivan County (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Battle of Blountville (within shouting distance of this marker); The Cannonball House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also named Battle of Blountville (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Blountville.
Categories. • Railroads & Streetcars • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 25, 2013, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. This page has been viewed 431 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on October 25, 2013, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.