Near Hagerstown in Washington County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Standing the Test of Time
This graceful, five-arch structure, spanning historic Conococheague Creek, is the oldest stone bridge in Washington County. The Army Corps of Engineers only required stone piers with a wooden superstructure, but the local government insisted the bridge be constructed entirely of native limestone.
Completed in 1919, at a cost of $12,000, it was the first of thirty stone bridges constructed in Washington County prior to the end of the Civil War. This 210-foot bridge, with two-foot thick walls above the roadbed, carried National Road traffic for nearly 120 years until the realignment of U.S. Route 40 in 1937.
(sidebar) People Preserving their Past. “If you went out there and stood in the dark, you could hear small rocks gradually sloping into the creek.” —Glenn Dull , Washington County Engineer, 1982. Tropical Storm Agnes produced one of the worst floods in the Great Valley of Maryland. Raging waters completely submerged the bridge leaving gaping holes in the stone superstructure. Demolition was recommended but county residents raised an outcry. A coalition
(photo caption) The crumbling remains of the middle arches in 1982. LeRoy Myers, Sr., a Clear Spring contractor and stone mason, restored the bridge.
(photo caption) Row’s Amusement Park attracted thousands to Wilson’s Bridge during the first half of the 20th century. The park featured rides, bath houses, an open-air theatre, a dance/ball room and a popular sliding board.
Marker series. This marker is included in the The Historic National Road marker series.
Location. 39° 39.466′ N, 77° 50.828′ W. Marker is near Hagerstown, Maryland, in Washington County. Marker is on Wilson Bridge Park Lane west of Baltimore National Pike (U.S. 40), on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in Wilson Bridge Park, in front of the bridge. Marker is in this post office area: Hagerstown MD 21740, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within one mile of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A different marker also named Wilson Bridge (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Gettysburg Campaign (approx. ¼ mile away); Wilson’s Store “The Bank Road” (approx. 0.6 miles away); a different marker also named Gettysburg Campaign (approx. 1.1 miles away).
Also see . . .
1. Wilson Bridge. (Submitted on November 18, 2006.)
2. Wilson Bridge Collapse, 1983. (Submitted on November 18, 2006.)
Categories. • Bridges & Viaducts • Roads & Vehicles •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 18, 2006, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 2,161 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 18, 2006, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.