Blountville in Sullivan County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
Battle of Blountville
Carter lost a cannon and about fifty men captured in battle. The next day, he evacuated the depot, leaving it in Foster's hands.
White Side Lodge No. 13 constructed the Masonic Female Institute in 1855 “to promote female education.” Jefferson Academy, the boys’ school, which stood near Cemetery Hill, contributed funds for the construction of the girls’ school. The academy was closed about 1900, and the girls’ school then became the Masonic Institute for both girls and boys until 1919.
Blountville, looking east from near the Union
Masonic Female Institute, 1907 - Courtesy Hunt Library
Erected by Tennessee Civil War Trails.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Tennessee Civil War Trails marker series.
Location. 36° 31.931′ N, 82° 19.526′ W. Marker is in Blountville, Tennessee, in Sullivan County. Marker is on Franklin Drive 0.1 miles east of Tennessee Route 394, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Blountville TN 37617, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Anderson Townhouse (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Cannonball House (about 400 feet away); Old Deery Inn (about 400 feet away); Ralph Blizard (about 400 feet away); a different marker also named Old Deery Inn (about 400 feet away); a different marker also named Battle of Blountville (about 500 feet away); Sullivan County (about 500 feet away); a different marker also named Battle of Blountville (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Blountville.
Categories. • Education • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 28, 2013, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. This page has been viewed 444 times since then and 48 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 28, 2013, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.