Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Lutherstadt Wittenberg in Wittenberg District, Saxony-Anhalt, Germany
 

The Melanchthon House / Das Melanchthonhaus

 
 
The Melanchthon House / Das Melanchthonhaus Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., September 22, 2013
1. The Melanchthon House / Das Melanchthonhaus Marker
Inscription.

This building was erected in 1536 for Philipp Schwarzerdt, one of the most significant German humanists and reformers, better known as Philipp Melanchthon. Melanchthon's family owned the house until 1604.

The three-storeyed gabled house has round arched niches as seats on both sides of the entrance; these can also be seen at the door to the Luther House

In 1967 a memorial of Philipp Melanchthon was opened in this house. To Melanchthon's 500th birthday in 1997, the house was restored and the museum redesigned. Melanchthon's study, the room in which he died, and the lovely herb garden are of special importance.

——————————

Das Gebäude wurde 1536 für den bedeutenden deutschen Humanisten und Reformator Philipp Schwarzerdt, weitaus bekannter unter dem Namen Philipp Melanchthon, errichtet. Bis 1604 verblieb das Haus im Besitz der Familie Melanchthon. Der dreigeschossige Renaissance-Giebelbau verfügt beiderseits der Eingangstür über sogenannte Rundbogensitznischen, wie sie auch am Eingang zum Lutherhaus zu finden sind.

Erst 1967 wurde es als eine Gedenkstätte für Philipp Melanchthon eröffnet. Zum 500. Geburtstag Melanchthons 1997 wurde das Haus restauriert und als Museum neu konzipiert. Besonders sehenswert sind Melanchthons Studierzimmer,
The Melanchthon House / Das Melanchthonhaus and Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., September 22, 2013
2. The Melanchthon House / Das Melanchthonhaus and Marker
Sterbezimmer und der schöne Kräutergarten.
 
Erected by Stadtwerke Lutherstadt Wittenberg GmbH.
 
Location. 51° 51.888′ N, 12° 39.062′ E. Marker is in Lutherstadt Wittenberg, Saxony-Anhalt, in Wittenberg District. Marker is on Collegienstraße, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: Collegienstraße 60, Lutherstadt Wittenberg, Saxony-Anhalt 06886, Germany.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Philipp Melanchthon House (here, next to this marker); The Leucorea University / Die Universität Leucorea (within shouting distance of this marker); Röhrwasserbrunnen in the/im "Lutherhof" (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); Karl Ludwig Nitzsch (about 120 meters away); Johann von Staupitz (about 120 meters away); The Augusteum / Das Augusteum (about 120 meters away); The Luther House / Das Lutherhaus (about 120 meters away); Martin Luther House (about 120 meters away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lutherstadt Wittenberg.
 
Also see . . .
1. Melanchthon House, Wittenberg. (Submitted on November 4, 2013, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Philipp Melanchthon Bio. (Submitted on November 4, 2013, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.EducationMan-Made Features
 
Melanchthon House Doorway image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., September 22, 2013
3. Melanchthon House Doorway
The Melanchthon House Study image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., September 22, 2013
4. The Melanchthon House Study
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 16, 2017. This page originally submitted on November 4, 2013, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 412 times since then and 35 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 4, 2013, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.
Paid Advertisement