Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Englewood in Bergen County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Brookside Chapel

 
 
Brookside Chapel Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, April 10, 2008
1. Brookside Chapel Marker
Inscription. Built in 1860 on Palisade Avenue as “The Englewood Presbyterian Church”, it was the first church established in the city. A new, larger church was built on the original site and the old building was taken down, stone by stone, and re-erected at Brookside Cemetery about 1877. The sandstone church, later known as the “Chapel”, is in the Gothic Revival architecture. Brookside Cemetery was established in 1876.

Sponsored by First Presbyterian Church, 1989, to commemorate the Bicentennial of the Presbyterian Church (USA)

 
Erected 1989 by Bergen County Historical Society. (Marker Number 74.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the New Jersey, Bergen County Historical Society marker series.
 
Location. 40° 54.375′ N, 73° 57.956′ W. Marker is in Englewood, New Jersey, in Bergen County. Marker is on Engle Street (County Route 501), on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Englewood NJ 07631, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. English Neighborhood Union School (approx. half a mile away); Saint Paul’s Episcopal Church
Marker at Brookside Chapel image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, April 10, 2008
2. Marker at Brookside Chapel
(approx. 0.7 miles away); Liberty Pole (approx. one mile away); a different marker also named Liberty Pole (approx. one mile away); Roelof Westervelt House (approx. one mile away); First Presbyterian Church (approx. 1.1 miles away); British & Hessian Invasion (approx. 1.1 miles away); John G. Benson House (approx. 1.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Englewood.
 
Also see . . .  Bergen County Historical Society Historic Site Markers. (Submitted on April 10, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
 
Categories. Cemeteries & Burial SitesChurches, Etc.
 
Chapel at Brookside Cemetery image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, April 10, 2008
3. Chapel at Brookside Cemetery
The chapel is located at the entrance of Brookside Cemetery on Engle Street.
First Presbyterian Church image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, April 8, 2008
4. First Presbyterian Church
This church, on Palisade Ave, was built on the original location of the Brookside Chapel. The smaller chapel was subsequently relocated to its present site.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 10, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 1,765 times since then and 59 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 10, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. • Christopher Busta-Peck was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement