Lutherstadt Wittenberg in Wittenberg District, Saxony-Anhalt, Germany
The Elbe Gate / Das Elbtor
When Martin Luther came to Wittenberg in 1508 he saw three mighty gates around the heavily fortified town. At this place in 1508 was the Elbe Gate. In front of this gate was the Elbe suburb.
In 1829 the Princess Auguste of Saxony-Weimar came through this gate into the town. She was a guest of the commander of the fortress and on her way to her marriage with Prince Wilhelm of Prussia. In 1873 the destruction of the gate started.
Als Martin Luther 1508 nach Wittenberg kam, erblickte er um das stark befestigte Wittenberg herum drei mächtige Stadttore. An dieser Stelle befand sich einst das Elbtor. Davor lag die Elbvorstadt.
Im Jahre 1829 reiste die Prinzessin Auguste von Sachsen-Weimar durch das Elbtor in die Stadt ein. Sie nahm beim Festungskommandanten Quartier, um dann schließlich zu ihrer Vermählung mit dem Prinzen Wilhelm von Preußen aufzubrechen. 1873 wurde mit dem Abbruch des Tores begonnen.
Erected by Stadtwerke Lutherstadt Wittenberg GmbH.
Location. 51° 51.936′ N, 12° 38.552′ E. Marker is in Lutherstadt Wittenberg, Saxony-Anhalt, in Wittenberg District. Marker is on Elbstraße Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lutherstadt Wittenberg, Saxony-Anhalt 06886, Germany.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Lucas Cranach d. Ältere (a few steps from this marker); Lucas Cranach d. Jüngere (a few steps from this marker); Lucas Cranach der Ältere (1472-1553) (within shouting distance of this marker); 1556 Wittenberg Water System (within shouting distance of this marker); Lucas Cranach (within shouting distance of this marker); Cranach-Hof (within shouting distance of this marker); Thomas Müntzer (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); Johann Schneidewin (about 90 meters away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lutherstadt Wittenberg.
Categories. • Man-Made Features • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on July 24, 2018. This page originally submitted on November 11, 2013, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 300 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 11, 2013, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.