Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Albuquerque in Bernalillo County, New Mexico — The American Mountains (Southwest)
 

Casa de Armijo

 
 
Casa de Armijo Marker image. Click for full size.
By Roger Dean Meyer, June 30, 2006
1. Casa de Armijo Marker
Inscription. Built in 1706 and occupied for many generations by the Armijo family who were prominent in local history. This hacienda was gay with social life.

During the turmoil of the early settlement the Mexican, Spanish and American Civil War occupation it was used as a fort and a refuge.

Later, still occupied by the Armijo family, portions were used as an early trading post.

In 1930 it was restored from a ruin to its present condition and remodeled in conformity with its old character.
 
Location. 35° 5.752′ N, 106° 40.164′ W. Marker is in Albuquerque, New Mexico, in Bernalillo County. Marker is at the intersection of San Felipe St., NW and S Plaza St NW, on the right when traveling north on San Felipe St., NW. Touch for map. Located on the outside wall of the La Placita Restaurant which is now housed in the Casa de Armijo. Marker is at or near this postal address: 208 San Felipe St NW, Albuquerque NM 87104, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Mountain Howitzers (within shouting distance of this marker); Confederate Soldiers (within shouting distance of this marker); Albuquerque (within shouting distance of this marker);
The Casa de Armijo image. Click for full size.
By Roger Dean Meyer, June 30, 2006
2. The Casa de Armijo
In This Plaza Were Enacted (within shouting distance of this marker); Skirmish of Albuquerque (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Albuquerque.
 
Also see . . .  La Placita Dining Rooms. Restaurant review which reveals that before housing this restaurant this former hacienda housed a "mercantile store in which gentlemen's linen underwear could be purchased for $1 and dainty ladies' lace gloves sold for 10 cents a pair." (Submitted on November 21, 2006.) 
 
Categories. Notable BuildingsSettlements & Settlers
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 21, 2006, by Roger Dean Meyer of Yankton, South Dakota. This page has been viewed 4,611 times since then and 311 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on November 21, 2006, by Roger Dean Meyer of Yankton, South Dakota. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement