Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Kinston in Lenoir County, North Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

The Site of Harriet's Chapel

Harriet's Chapel Battlefield Park

 

—Battle of Kinston Military Park —

 
Site of Harriet's Chapel Marker image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, September 26, 2013
1. Site of Harriet's Chapel Marker
Inscription. Harriet’s Chapel saw some of the most intense fighting of the Battle of Kinston. In 2010, Historical Preservation Group moved this building, once New Beaverdam Primitive Baptist Church, to this site to interpret Harriet’s Chapel’s role in the battle.

Harriet’s Chapel
Harriet’s Chapel vanished long ago and no photograph or drawing survives. It probably looked much like this building, which is typical of Civil War-era church buildings in this area. Union and Confederate regimental histories describe Harriet’s Chapel. Most agree that it was an unpainted wood frame building supported by piers.

New Beaverdam Primitive Baptist Church
Its congregation built New Beaverdam Primitive Baptist Church shortly after the Civil War. The interior was left unfinished “in the primitive way.” A pastor held services in the church once a month until the early 1950s, when the church closed. As was the customary, the deed passed to the last living member of the church, who sold the building. Moved from its original site, it became a tenant house and then a storage building. Michele Waller donated the building to Historical Preservation Group’s Lenoir County Battlefields Commission in 2009. It stands near where Harriet’s Chapel is thought to have stood.

(captions)
(lower center)
Site of Harriet's Chapel Marker image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, September 26, 2013
2. Site of Harriet's Chapel Marker
Elder Joshua E. Mewborn served as the Elder of New Beaverdam Primitive Baptist Church from 1925 until the early 1950s, when the church closed. This photo was taken about 1949.

(upper right) The restored interior of the New Beaverdam Primitive Baptist Church building.

(center right) A Primitive Baptist Church baptizing, ca. 1940.

(lower right) Red Bank Primitive Baptist Church, Greenville, North Carolina, ca. 1950. Courtesy Bill Kittrell, Pitt County Historical Society
 
Erected by Battle of Kinston Military Park.
 
Location. 35° 14.512′ N, 77° 35.281′ W. Marker is in Kinston, North Carolina, in Lenoir County. Marker is on Richlands Road (U.S. 258) near Measley Road, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. The marker is located on the grounds of the Kinston Battlefield Park. Marker is in this post office area: Kinston NC 28504, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Caring for the Wounded (here, next to this marker); The Night of December 13, 1862 (a few steps from this marker); The Confederate Defenses of Kinston (a few steps from this marker); Fighting at Harriet's Chapel (a few steps
Site of Harriet's Chapel Marker image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, September 26, 2013
3. Site of Harriet's Chapel Marker
from this marker); Kinston Battlefield Park (within shouting distance of this marker); First Battle of Kinston (within shouting distance of this marker); Wessells' Advance—December 14, 1862 (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Center of the Confederate Line (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Kinston.
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.War, US Civil
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 25, 2013, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. This page has been viewed 404 times since then and 34 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on November 25, 2013, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement