Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Natchez in Natchitoches Parish, Louisiana — The American South (West South Central)
 

Old Plauche Place / Ducournau Plantation

 
 
Old Plauche Place / Ducournau Plantation Marker (side 1) image. Click for full size.
By Lynn Waldon
1. Old Plauche Place / Ducournau Plantation Marker (side 1)
Inscription.
(side 1)
This c. 1836 center hall Creole cottage is of poteaux sur sole, (hand-hewn pegged cypress sills on brick piers) and bousillage construction on the 1780s land grant to Claude Pierre Thomas Metoyer. The lower 68 acres given to a free woman of color, Coincoin, mother to his 10 Franco-African children, genesis to Isle Brevelle and builders of Melrose Plantation and St. Augustine Church. Pierre and his French wife, Marie Therese Buard, had three children who intermarried with the Prudhomme & Lambre families, genesis to the Cote Joyeuse. Pierre had 103 enslaved workers on this plantation in 1810. Pierre's granddaughter, Ophelia Prudhomme, acquired the land from her parents and married (twice widowed) the two sons of Gen. Jean Baptiste Plauche of the Battle of New Orleans. New Orleans cotton broker JB Plauche & Co. doing business with the
(Continued on other side)

(side 2)
(Continued from other side)
Prudhomme families and Magnolia Plantation. Her siblings owned Beau Fort, Cedar Bend, Cherokee and Oaklawn Plantations. Her grandfather Emmanuel Prudhomme built Oakland. Union and Confederate troops passed through the Old Plauche Place during the 1864 Red River Campaign, ascending March 30 and descending April 21 burning her baled cotton and gins, and removing her
Old Plauche Place / Ducournau Plantation Marker (side 2) image. Click for full size.
By Lynn Waldon
2. Old Plauche Place / Ducournau Plantation Marker (side 2)
property. 78 of the 81 enslaved residents left with the advancing, and later retreating, Union troops. Her son Andrew Jackson Plauche and wife Estelle Ducournau left the place to the Ducournau family. As directed in the will of Andrew Jackson Plauche, Joe Plauche, a southern planter of color was a resident of the famed plantation from 1900 to 1946 employing returning veterans of World War I. In 1963 owner Jo Bryan Ducournau, whose father commissioned the “Good Darky” statue, renamed the place “Hope”.
 
Erected by The Albert Family.
 
Location. 31° 40.455′ N, 93° 1.32′ W. Marker is near Natchez, Louisiana, in Natchitoches Parish. Marker is on State Highway 494 0.3 miles north of Cedar Bend Road, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Natchez LA 71456, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Badin-Roque House (approx. 5.8 miles away); Yucca Plantation (approx. 6.1 miles away); Colonial Gateway Corral (approx. 6.7 miles away); El Camino Real de los Tejas (approx. 6.7 miles away); Natchitoches and the Early American Period
Old Plauche Place / Ducournau Plantation Marker image. Click for full size.
By Tom Bosse, July 3, 2017
3. Old Plauche Place / Ducournau Plantation Marker
(approx. 6.7 miles away); Dr. John Sibley (approx. 6.7 miles away); Northwestern State University (approx. 6.8 miles away); The American Cemetery (approx. 6.9 miles away).
 
Categories. African AmericansSettlements & SettlersWar, US Civil
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 20, 2017. This page originally submitted on December 7, 2013, by Mike Waldon of Lafayette, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 686 times since then and 147 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on December 7, 2013, by Mike Waldon of Lafayette, Louisiana.   3. submitted on July 19, 2017, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement